SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2090

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Tue Apr 4 03:53:04 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/3/00 10:25:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:

<< The feast sounds fabulous....but I have one concern regarding the third
dish
 in the second course....How long had this been sitting around?

 Balthazar of Blackmoor

I preserved it using modern canning methods, I'm not worried about it's shelf
life if that's what you mean.

If you are playing with the name then, here see for yourself the recipe and
know that eventually, you can add it to your garden if you like! :)

Compost
Curye on Inglish, p. 120-121
"Take rote of persel, of pasternak, of rafens, scape hem and waischehem
clene. Take rapes & caboches, ypared and icorue. Take an erthenpanne with
clene water & set it on the fire; cast alle thise therinne.Whan they buth
boiled cast therto peeres, & parboile hem wel. Take alle thise thynges vp &
lat it kele on a faire cloth. Do therto salt; whan itis colde, do hit in a
vessel; take vyneger & powdour & safroun & dotherto, & lat alle thise thynges
lye therin al nyyt, other al day. Takewyne greke & hony, clarified togider;
take lumbarde mustard & raisonscoraunce, al hoole, & grynde powdour of canel,
powdour douce & aneyshole, & fenell seed. Take alle thise thynges & cast
togyder in a pot oferthe, & take therof whan thou wilt & serue forth."- -

My own composition of  “Compost” was devised based on the original recipes,
however I considered the location and incorporated a more Irish flavour by
using a honey mead and a cider vinegar in the pickle.

Compost in Ireland
1 .50 lb carrots
.50 lb parsley root
1 lb turnips
.50 of  white cabbage

Soaking brine
.25 cup sea salt
.5 cups cider vinegar

Pickle
1 quart --mead
1 cup honey
1 Tbsp crushed mustard seed
1 tsp anise seed
2 tsp fennel  seed

Peel wash and core vegetables. Slice thinly.
Place in non reactive container and add the soaking brine. Let sit overnight
or several hours.

Mix mead, honey and spices. Bring the pickle to a boil and add vegetables.
Put vegetables in sterilized jars and pour over hot pickle juice. Seal and
store in a cool place. Makes about 6 pints.

Hauviette