SC - Is Arrowroot Period?

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue Apr 4 05:59:06 PDT 2000

Having a Japanese personna, and having fought the determination on the part of
some individuals to insist on only Western European personnae...knowing full
well that there are many individuals in the SCA with Eastern European and
Middle-Eastern personnae...I have essentially stayed out of this discussion.
I've been over this territory too many times previously.  I would also let folks
know that, in the 20+ years I've been in the Society, I've always considered
myself a visitor in a European court, and have maintained that rigorously...to
the point that, when given an augmentation of arms of golden dragons, the CoA
wanted to make them silver to conform to the rules about mon...I indicated that
this was a gift given to me by a barbarian round-eye King who didn't know about
mon, and that it would be a great ingratitutde and dishonor to change the gift!

My feeling is that, if the SCA is going to adhere strictly to it's charter of
being Western European Medieval and Renaissance recreation, then it should do it
across the board...no pre-800, no post 1600 (including recipes and dances!),
nothing from the Middle East or Eastern Europe.  Actually, I think that'd be a
little boring, but then that's me.  I have learned a great deal from the
diversity of personnae that we have, and I like to think that folks have learned
a little about medieval Japan from me!

Kiri