SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2090

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue Apr 4 10:29:19 PDT 2000

- --------------35D02371DE18C40381055279

I have redacted the same recipe, but came up with something a little different...

(makes about 4 cups)
6 radishes                        4 cabbage leaves                1 parsnip
2 turnips                          1 pear                                 1 tsp.
salt
1 1/2 C. red wine vinegar 1/2 tsp. pepper                   1 pinch saffron
1 1/2 C. Sweet Wine       4 tbsp. honey                      1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
        (Marsala)
1 tsp. fresh ginger root    1/4 tsp. mace                       1/4 tsp. cloves
        finely diced
1/2 tsp. fennel seed          1/4 cup currants                   1 T. Lumbard
Mustard

(made from another

recipe)
1/2 tsp. whole anise seed

1.  Chop root veggies and pear into chunks, cabbage into 2" strips.
2.  Parboil root vegetables and cabbage in water until almost tender
3.  Add pear to vegetables and continue parboiling until tender.  Drain & cool.
4.  Marinate in a cool place overnight.  Drain liquid from mixture.
5.  Heat wine and honey together until clarified.
6.  Add spices and currants to wine/honey mixture, mix thoroughly, then cool.
7.  Gently mix with vegetable/fruit mixture.  Store, refrigerated, then serve
chilled.

Notes:
1.  Recipe calls for "wyne greke" or Greek Wine, which the glossary in Curye on
Inglysch defines as "...a sweet type of wine which actually came from Italy..."
Marsala fit this description nicely.

2.  I omitted the parsley root as it was unavailable at the time.

3.  I define "poudre" here to mean pepper.

4.  The "...lumbarde mustard..." is taken from another recipe in Forme of Curye.

5.  I have found numerous descriptions of "powdre douce" which vary widely, often
containing sugar, cinnamon, ginger, mace and cloves.  I have omitted the sugar as
I feel the dish is sweet enough with the honey and sweet wine.  I have also used
fresh ginger as has Terence Scully in his Early French Cooking in recipes which
call for this mixture.  I also believe that it adds more to the sweet-sour
contrast that was popular in this period.

So you see, mine is a different...but yours is so much simpler.  The result of
what I did is, as noted by others, similar to a chutney.

Kiri

ChannonM at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 4/3/00 10:25:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:
>
> << The feast sounds fabulous....but I have one concern regarding the third
> dish
>  in the second course....How long had this been sitting around?
>
>  Balthazar of Blackmoor
>   >>
> I preserved it using modern canning methods, I'm not worried about it's shelf
> life if that's what you mean.
>
> If you are playing with the name then, here see for yourself the recipe and
> know that eventually, you can add it to your garden if you like! :)
>
> Compost
> Curye on Inglish, p. 120-121
> "Take rote of persel, of pasternak, of rafens, scape hem and waischehem
> clene. Take rapes & caboches, ypared and icorue. Take an erthenpanne with
> clene water & set it on the fire; cast alle thise therinne.Whan they buth
> boiled cast therto peeres, & parboile hem wel. Take alle thise thynges vp &
> lat it kele on a faire cloth. Do therto salt; whan itis colde, do hit in a
> vessel; take vyneger & powdour & safroun & dotherto, & lat alle thise thynges
> lye therin al nyyt, other al day. Takewyne greke & hony, clarified togider;
> take lumbarde mustard & raisonscoraunce, al hoole, & grynde powdour of canel,
> powdour douce & aneyshole, & fenell seed. Take alle thise thynges & cast
> togyder in a pot oferthe, & take therof whan thou wilt & serue forth."- -
>
> My own composition of  “Compost” was devised based on the original recipes,
> however I considered the location and incorporated a more Irish flavour by
> using a honey mead and a cider vinegar in the pickle.
>
> Compost in Ireland
> 1 .50 lb carrots
> .50 lb parsley root
> 1 lb turnips
> .50 of  white cabbage
>
> Soaking brine
> .25 cup sea salt
> .5 cups cider vinegar
>
> Pickle
> 1 quart --mead
> 1 cup honey
> 1 Tbsp crushed mustard seed
> 1 tsp anise seed
> 2 tsp fennel  seed
>
> Peel wash and core vegetables. Slice thinly.
> Place in non reactive container and add the soaking brine. Let sit overnight
> or several hours.
>
> Mix mead, honey and spices. Bring the pickle to a boil and add vegetables.
> Put vegetables in sterilized jars and pour over hot pickle juice. Seal and
> store in a cool place. Makes about 6 pints.
>
> Hauviette

- --------------35D02371DE18C40381055279

I have redacted the same recipe, but came up with something a little different...
4 cabbage leaves
1 parsnip
1 pear
1 tsp. salt
1 pinch saffron
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/4 cup currants
1 T. Lumbard Mustard
(made from another
recipe)
tender
Drain & cool.
mixture.
then cool.
then serve chilled.
in <i>Curye on Inglysch</i> defines as "...a sweet type of wine which actually
came from Italy..."  Marsala fit this description nicely.
<i>Forme of Curye</i>.
vary widely, often containing sugar, cinnamon, ginger, mace and cloves.
I have omitted the sugar as I feel the dish is sweet enough with the honey
and sweet wine.  I have also used fresh ginger as has Terence Scully
in his <i>Early French Cooking </i>in recipes which call for this mixture.
I also believe that it adds more to the sweet-sour contrast that was popular
in this period.
The result of what I did is, as noted by others, similar to a chutney.
Time,
the third
it's shelf
and