SC - Re: Goodbye (RANT)-ramble

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Apr 4 17:22:26 PDT 2000

ekoogler at chesapeake.net writes:

<< Personally, common sense regarding the recreation of period recipes is a
 > > focused attempt to follow any given recipe as exactly as is possible
whatever
 > > measures are needed to accomplish that.
 > >
 > > Ras >>

To set the record straight since I was the unfortunate individual who was
quoted in this post......

I used the word 'personally.' I think the implications of that are very
clear. They were my personal thoughts.

Yes, I am probably one of the worst 'offenders' in regard to actively
advocating period feasts. I have worked very hard at this and like to think
that in some small way I have made a mark. The expanding use of the term
'Kitchen Steward' throughout the known world is one example of how a single
individual of little importance can make a difference. I never thought it
would catch on so rapidly when I originally suggested it.

Certainly the wide spread use of period and period-like dishes at feasts has
increased astronomically since the inception of this list due to the work of
Adamantius, Aiofe, Cariadoc, Huen, Llewelyn Gunther and many others including
myself. The majority of SCA members have come to the point where they are
disappointed if an attempt at period or period like food is not made for
major events.

Dr. Gloning's work is invaluable in expanding knowledge of period German
cookery.

The list goes on and on. But the point is that in spite of the Grumpy Old
Farts, the arrogant schmucks, the primadonnas, the university titled and the
explosive artists, the message is being heard. Believe it or not, I am very
proud of all the people on this list even those that would belittle me and
make attempts at character assassination against me and others. Despite my
reputation (not undeserved) as a curmudgeon, I encourage my students to
challenge me as was evident in Lady Seton's post regarding Kosher cuisine.

I think one of the nicest times on the list was the creation of the
hotdog/mac and cheese children's menu. Not period but enough period-like to
be used as a good intro to period food for young people.

I guess what I am trying to say is that if you want to put chocolate chips in
your frumenty, feel free to do so. I will still take the opportunity to point
out to other folks that such a practice is not period and will most likely
voice the opinion that I would not recommend that others do so. If that
causes hurt feelings then I suppose it will but the intention is to focus on
the possibilities that are in the actual period recipe not to say that such a
concoction is bad tasting food. That being said you can bet your last dollar
that i saved your chocolate chip frumenty recipe in my personal modern recipe
files. :-)

Ras