Check Pants - Was, SC - Is Arrowroot Period?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Apr 4 20:27:15 PDT 2000

> Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 21:19:40 EDT
> From: CBlackwill at aol.com
> Subject: Re: SC - Is Arrowroot Period?
>
> In a message dated 4/4/00 4:58:14 AM Pacific Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
> writes:
>
> >  and they do make lover-ly plaids and houndstooth-check
> >  woolen fabric.
>
> Aaargh!  A flood of memories are rushing back now....I never did like those
> houndstooth pants we had to wear in the kitchen.  I know, Iknow...It's
> tradition.  But, I don't have to like it.

Ah, no, man! You've gotta respect your traditions! Especially given the
alternatives... The check pants are for real, hands-on cooks who want to
take a stain or three and still look okay. I've never met a black-pants
chef who could actually put a pan on the heat and produce food from raw
ingredients. A black-pants chef is a glorified steward, an overpaid
kitchen clerk! (Yes, I'm joking. Just that as with many jokes, there's a
thread of truth to it, IMO.)

And we all _know_ about WHITE-pants chefs... hacks, to a man. Or woman!
(Still joking. Partly.)

And as for the newish obscenely bright paisley ones, I can only think of
Slim Pickens' comment in "Blazing Saddles," to the effect that two of
his evil henchmen looked like a couple of Kansas City, um, gentlemen.
Very, very effete and not a little ridiculous, making the wearer more
appropriately dressed for duty as a eunuch in an Ottoman harem than in a
kitchen. Eunuch or otherwise.

You know, I often see how lucky I am not to be excessively opinionated,
like _some_ people.

Not that I often wear houndstooth check pants outside of kitchens, mind
you...although I do have a pair of woolen trews in a houndstooth
pattern, for event wear. Pure coincidence.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com