SC - How do I get started?

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Tue Apr 4 22:30:23 PDT 2000

>  <<
>   I am looking for pots and pans heavy enough to come through
>   campfire/hearth cooking. >>

This is a great thread for this list.  With the vast number of knowledgable
cooks out there, we should be able to get you going in the right direction.

First, I have to ask if you are looking for "period" cooking pieces, or just
good cookware.  i.e. Does it have to look ancient?  If so, you may want to
consider simple cast iron.  There are a number of good sources for cast iron
already listed here, but if you can't find any, try looking up the Ecko
company (sorry, I don't know where they are located).  They put out a very
nice selection of heavy duty cast iron skillets, stock pots and dutch ovens.
All of these may be used either on the range, or over an open hearth fire.
And, since they don't have cheap plastic handles, you can pop them right into
the coals or the oven with no worries.  DO, however, be careful of the cheap
cast iron products put out by places like Target and Walmart.  They are too
thin for even heating, and are not strong enough to stand up to the heat of a
camp fire (or the kitchen range, for that matter.  I had a flat griddle bust
in half on me while I was drying it on the stove.  Talk about a noise.  I
thought I had been shot).

Copper is another alternative, but tends to be very expensive (and some food
stuffs react poorly in the presence of copper).  I, personally, would avoid
this for daily camp or feast use.

If you are not concerned about the stuff looking period, then stainless steel
is the best way to go.  More expensive than alluminum, it will not discolor
sauces or fruit compotes the way aluminum can.  Acidic ingredients won't pit
it, and it cleans up nicely.  Make sure you get a high quality, heavy guage
stainless, though, to ensure even heat distribution and strength.  When you
rap your knuckle against it, it shouldn't ring like a bell.  Also, check the
handles, particularly if they are riveted on.  Jiggle the handle.  If it
wiggles, put it back on the shelf and move to the next one.  Stainless
doesn't expand enough in the oven to warrant a loose handle, so this is a
sign of poor construction.

If you really want some high quality stuff, then get in touch with your local
restaurant manager (it helps if the restaurant is privately owned), and see
if he/she will order you a set of their pans.  Many managers will do this (I
have done it on numerous occasions), because it is great public relations.
In addition, purchasing from a restaurant will usually cost you less that
retail prices.

Hope this helps

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Such a strange fascination, as I wallow in waste
That such a trivial victory could put a smile on your face.