SC - sulte

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Apr 5 22:40:01 PDT 2000

Cairistiona said:
> Hello!  Adamantius asked if I had given the context of the word - I thought
> I had, but evidently not:  yes, it is a noun, occasionally embellished as
> verckenssulte (pork sulte).  It's being used to make a cuminade (sp.?) along
> with game.
>
> The glossary, which seems to be fairly on the ball, says it's a salted cut
> of meat from the neck/throat.  The reason I was asking about it is that I
> don't want to have to say 'salted meat from the neck/throat of a pig'
> umpteen times if I don't have to, and was hoping we might actually have a
> word for it ourselves.  After all, we have a lot of odd and under-used words
> in this bizarre language of ours.

If there is no obvious and well-known word in English for this, I would
suggest defining the word the first time it is used, ie: ...pork sulte
(a salted meat from the neck/throat)....   and then simply using
"pork sulte" from there on out.

If you use a little-known or specialized English word then some of us
will
still have to look it up. Adamantius, are you listening? :-)
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net