OT - Re: SC - Re: saffron

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Thu Apr 6 00:52:10 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/5/00 10:07:35 PM Pacific Daylight Time, LrdRas at aol.com
writes:

> << I was not aware that the use of tastebuds was dependent upon the
>   ability to read.  >>
>
>  But you did need to be able to faithfully reproduce the recipes expected
at
>  noble feasts. If you did not, then you were unemployed. The ones that had
> the
>  wherewithal to write down the recipes were employed.

I wonder if the Lord of the Manor ever got tired of eating the same recipes,
and ordered his cooks to "do something different, for Pete's sake!"  Do you
suppose they would have made substitutions then?  Chervil instead of Dill?
Capon instead of Duck?  Do you suppose they would have kept their jobs (or
their heads) if they didn't?

Just curious,

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Such a strange fascination, as I wallow in waste
That such a trivial victory could put a smile on your face.