SC - I CHALLENGE YOU...

Black Jade Black_Jade at bigpond.com
Thu Apr 6 03:45:08 PDT 2000

>CBlackwill at aol.com wrote:
>
>> Yeah, I'll give this a go.  When's the deadline, and do we actually have to
>> have cooked it by then, or just redacted the recipe?
>>
>> Balthazar of Blackmoor
>
>Kinda hard to do any redacting without doing some cookin', ain't it? ;-)
>
>'Lainie

Not necessarily.  One needs to be pretty confident in their imagination
though.  It also depends on your definition.  Do you consider redacting as
working out HOW to do things in a modern kitchen context, or as actually
working out fixed amounts.
When I redact, I tend to prepare small amounts and then from there attempt
to work out how much I put in.  For example.  I NEVER measure out my
spices.  I season to taste, as I'm sure many cooks did back then, I also
sometimes discover that my ideas of what is sufficently seasoned to differ
slightly from other peoples.  I can redact pretty well for the group I know
because I know their tastes.  I find it absurd to follow any recipe, when I
KNOW that that is way to much of something to fit in with the group I
circulate in.  I believe in redacting , you have a certain lee-way in such
matters as often quantities are not stated.  I take that to be something
akin to 'to taste'.
So IMHO you don't need necessarily to actually make the dish to redact it.
You have to be pretty confident of your ability to imagine how the spices
blend etc, but I've seen people who can do it.
- -Katerine