SC - I CHALLENGE YOU...

Richard Keith keith.78 at osu.edu
Thu Apr 6 07:42:55 PDT 2000

Thanks Admantius,

This looks like fun.

>"45. For to make bukkenade. Nym god fresch flesch, wat maner so yt be, &
>hew it in smale morselys, & seth yt wy(th) gode fresch buf; & cast
>(th)ereto gode myncyd onyons & gode spicerye, & alyth wy(th) eyryn, &
>boyle & dresse yt forth."

If I had more of the cookbook, I would look at it to see how the writer did
other recipes.  Were they consistent in saying it was boiled fried
etc.  Did they have a section on pastries that gave Bukkenagde as a
filling.  Is is recipe listed under stew/soups etc.  All these items would
help.

To make something called bukkenade. Take some good fresh meat; of what ever
I like and cut it up into small morsels.  Boil it with fresh beef (meat or
broth, certainly changes recipe) with minced onions and good spices and
something with eggs. boil the mixture and  dress it serve it forth.  I
would  then make a dough and will I would fill  and bake till
done.  Placing them  on a platter in the shape of the kings nose.  The
pastry being the dressing.

Considered this a filling
1 pound Good Fresh fresh meat cut up fine.  I have pork, so I will use that.

1 pound beef, the recipe calls for it.

enough water needed it to boil it

two or more minced onions depending upon size.  probably nearly equal to meat

powder forte, grains of paradise. a little salt. etc to taste.
         The recipe does not call for any herbs such as parsley, or
rosemary etc so
         do not  use them.  The seasonings I consider good.  Again, if
possible, I would look    else ware in this cookbook, I could find out what
the cook considered good.

mix in some eggs till it holds together

>"53. For to make a bukkenade, tak veel & boyle it. Tak (y)olkys of eggys
>& mak hem (th)ykke. Tak macis & powdre of gyngyuer & powdere of peper, &
>boyle it togedere & messe yt forth."

Considered this a soup
Take a veal and boil it till meat fall off bones.  Thicken the water and
veal with eggs yokes. Season with mace, powdered ginger and powdered pepper
.  Stir it well and serve.

one pound Veal pieces with bone.
Water enough to cover and keep covered till meat is done.
two or more egg yokes
powdered mace
powdered ginger
pepper.

I will try these at sometime, but cannot do so the next few days.  At that
point I would adjust recipes and then again after feedback.

>                 -- MS Douce 257 (D), English, ~1381C.E. Printed and edited by
>Constance Hieatt and Sharon Butler, "Curye On Inglysch", © 1985 The
>Early English Text Society, published by the Oxford University Press.

I purposely did not look at this on myself.  Will do so later to see where
it falls.

Thanks for the fun

Frederich