SC - Looking for guidance

Liam Fisher macdairi at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 7 06:11:05 PDT 2000

><< what books and equipment does everyone
>  consider to be a "must have" item to use themselves. >>
>
>An apron and a good set of knives.  Oh and lots of dish towels.
>
>Murkial

You only need three knives really, a chef's knife, a boning knife,
and a paring knife.  You may include a carving knife as well.

Include a sharpening steel in that kit as well, when you have to
cut up a few animals worth of meat to feed the masses, they get
a bit dull, and a dull knife just slows you down.

If you don't mind modern conveniences, I would suggest for slicing
veggies and others en masse, either a cheapo mandolin or if you can find a
rotary slicer/chopper/mixer/grater that is decent and hand cranked leaves
you independent of site offerings and outlets.

I found an old hand cranked meat grinder a few months ago that WASN'T a
table clamp model, but rather a legged version with heavy rubber feet.  I
have to find my way back to the store and pick it up because it would be
invaluable for doing sausages (unless you like being a masochist and using a
stuffing funnel and plunger) because my fittings for my other grinder will
fit it as well.  Just a dream, but I like gadgets to make things go
smoother.

But then again there is something to doing an entirely hand-chopped
mince-meat dish...

Cadoc MacDairi
(who is putting in his intermittent $.02 because work keeps eating
his brain)
Cadoc MacDairi, Mountain Confederation, ACG
Shire of Abhainn Ciach Ghlaiss

"I feel the air rise up in me
Kneel down in prayer the stone of years
I wonder how well you can see