SC - garlic recipes

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Apr 7 23:56:37 PDT 2000

Lucrezia commented:
> PS Thanks for the garlic recipes Rayne - I just bought several '50p for 8
> heads' bags (brilliant price here <gloat>) and was wondering what to do with
> them.

If you are still looking for garlic recipes, you might want to look at
this file in the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section of the Florilegium:
garlic-msg        (30K)  7/27/99    Medieval use of garlic. Garlic storage.

Last weekend, I tried this recipe recently posted here:
> Subject: Re: SC - Bagna Calda.
>
> >A similar kind of thing is an Italian dish called Bagna Calda.
>
> The recipe is from a restaurant in San Francisco (branch in LA) called The
> Stinking Rose...if you're ever in that area and like/love garlic, don't miss this one!!!
>
> 1 1/2 cups peeled garlic cloves
> 1 1/2 cups extra virgin oliveoil
> 2 oz. butter
> 1 can (2 oz) anchovies
>
> 1.  Place all ingredients inoven caserole, cover and place in 275 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours.
> 2.  Serve with bread and cut up veggies.
>
> The only down side to this is that if you pig out, as I usually do, then you
> smell of garlic for several days...but then who cares?  It's well worth the
> sacrifice.
>
> Kiri

I expected this to be a kind of paste or chutney. But it was more like a
soup of olive oil with bits of garlic in it and I couldn't taste the
anchovies. Is this really the right quantity of oil? If so, then I
guess this more like a flavored oil for dipping bread into rather than
a spread to put on bread.  I also broke up the garlic cloves when they
were soft, after about an hour or so. Perhaps I shouldn't have done
this? I also think I cooked it closer to two hours, carmalizing most
of the garlic. Next time I will have to watch it closer near the end.

And yes, my wife complained I smelled like garlic for several days
afterwards. Since she detests anchovies, the suggestion to make sure
your SO eats it too, didn't work.

Oh yes. Is there an easy way to skin the garlic cloves. 1 1/2 cups
is a LOT of garlic cloves.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net