SC - Thickening with egg yolks, and veal

Jane Williams jane at williams.nildram.co.uk
Sat Apr 8 13:14:00 PDT 2000

My thanks to all who advised on this. I will try again. In fear and
trepidation, but I will try.

And other comments have made it clearer why the more experienced
redactions have differed so much from mine (well, apart from me not
knowing what I'm doing!)

" Well, in my opinion (and I think Ras said it as well) american veal
typically isn't veal, it's just young beef."

Now over here in the UK, veal is veal. A very pale, almost white meat,
with more in common with chicken than with beef. So naturally we're
treating the stuff differently.

What would period veal have been like? The Forme of Cury recipe
suggests "Henn or Conyng" as substitutes, which make me think it
was more of a white meat. But the previous recipe on the page,
Monchelet, starts with "Take Veel or Moton".