SC - Re: Pommes Dorre- Methodology

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Sun Apr 9 04:32:35 PDT 2000

owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:

<< Hmmm...interesting. I think I will work a little on this one. With an
 increase of sugar and spices this sounds very much like it could be a type
of
 sweet forcemeat along the lines of modern mincemeat.

 Ras

I worked out the recipe a few times and was using the sugar as a modern
person would ie to make the dish sweet. When I began to think like a cook of
the 14th C, ie sugar is warming, and is treated as a spice not a condiment, I
decreased it's use and the result was more people liking the dish than had
when the sugar content was higher. Thinking like the cook who wrote the
recipe was the difficult part and I can't say I do it every time, but, when I
have focused on the methods and ingredients (in a mindset that I am trying to
develop to understand Medieval cooking) I am much happier with the end
results.

Hauviette