SC - More on Sumac

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Apr 9 12:03:29 PDT 2000

ekoogler at chesapeake.net writes:

<< Is this version edible?  If so, I have a gold mine sitting in the woods
next to
 my home.  I have, in the past, cut the dried berry stalks and used them for
 decoration.

 Kiri >>

Yes. Very edible. The fruits can be used to make a lemonade substitute and
are the main ingredient in za'atar. It is also called for in a large number
of period middle eastern recipes. The bark can be dried and used in pot
scented mixtures for room deodorizing or, like the berries, powdered and used
as a seasoning, being particularly good in lamb or goat recipes. Other than
in the realms of professional taxonomists, there are no major differences
between the Persian variety and the American variety of this edible Rhus.

Yours in Service to the Dream,
Ras