SC - Open/Closed Kitchens

James F. Johnson seumas at mind.net
Sun Apr 9 22:03:11 PDT 2000

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Seumas posted a bunch of stuff about he keeps his kitchen "closed" and
> then said:
> > Playing croquet with radishes has been known to draw me out of the
> > kitchen, big spoon in hand.....:)
>
> Hmm. But wouldn't it be better to use a hockey stick, mallet or rattan
> sword, whatever they are using? Unless it is a very long spoon, I think
> you might injure your back.

I was aiming for a higher target....about....oh,..._head_ high. :)

> Frankly, as a volunteer thinking about helping in the kitchen, some
> of these opinions on closing the kitchen to outsiders or at least
> the impression it gives, would make me hesitant to volunteer. I'm
> sure I could find another area where my efforts/interest would seem
> to be more appreciated. I think this scares off any but those already
> dedicated to cooking. Those, like myself at times, who are unsure of
> their abilities in the kitchen may well go elsewhere rather than
> brave the atmosphere and likely criticism.

Would you consider there is a difference between the last minute,
on-site volunteer, and someone who volunteered to help months in
advance. Most of my kitchen crew for Investiture volunteers minutes
after I agreed to cook the feast some six months earlier. There were at
least two others that didn't volunteer until on site, and I accepted
their help for several hours, until they were no longer needed. I had
five helpers lined up before The Day, two who volunteered that day, and
of course, Mistress Alys in the dish station. Any more bodies and I
would have had bodies underfoot with nothing to do (it was only 100
guests, as I mentioned earlier).

I sense two situations here. The first is when the Kitchen Steward was
unable to obtain enough helpers to get the feast out on time (or
something goes wrong and more hands are needed), and then accepts the
help of willing people on site. The second is when the Steward was able
to have enough helpers lined up beforehand (and they all showed up), and
taking anymore would crowd the kitchen or leave the earlier volunteers
with little to do.

It's not that I don't want extra help at the last minute, it's just that
I may not need it at the last minute. This doesn't mean I might not take
note of who it is and contact them later, in preparation for the next
feast. Seems to me that someone who wanted to help/learn how to cook
would might contact the Steward earlier, to get a feel for what's going
to happen, rather than walk in cold with no idea.

What I dislike is people in my kitchen who are just 'hanging out'. If I
don't have room in my kitchen for an extra pair of hands, I don't have
room for a social circle. If someone needs a corner for a discrete
discussion out of earshot of the populace, fine.

Seumas