SC - Open/Closed Kitchens

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Apr 9 22:26:31 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/10/00 12:24:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
stefan at texas.net writes:

<< Frankly, as a volunteer thinking about helping in the kitchen, some
 of these opinions on closing the kitchen to outsiders or at least
 the impression it gives, would make me hesitant to volunteer. I'm
 sure I could find another area where my efforts/interest would seem
 to be more appreciated. I think this scares off any but those already
 dedicated to cooking. Those, like myself at times, who are unsure of
 their abilities in the kitchen may well go elsewhere rather than
 brave the atmosphere and likely criticism. >>

I don't agree. Perhaps Lord Cadoc might gift us with a rendition of the tale
of his first excursion into my kitchen. It involved chopping onions for a
lamb meat ball and inch think pieces sticking out all over. From there he
progressed to making one of the best dishes the Schola feast saw still
chopping and dicing. ;-)

I think that anyone who is turned off by being put to work if they show up in
the kitchen may not have a clue as to what cooking a feast entails. I always
put people to work but the reality of the matter is that if you have a
certain 'fame' there will be who show up to socialize and shake hands or
'watch' you work, etc. Those type of people are by necessity discouraged from
those activities by having a personal PR individual to sift through the valid
as well as the valid attempts at taking up the time of the kitchen steward or
the crew in general. The Queen of Aethelmearc showed up in the kitchen to get
away from everyone for a while. She ensconced herself out of the way in a
doorway leading to a supply room that was little used. We ignored her
presence as she intended we do at the time. Had she not have been so
inconspicuous and had I not been aware of her purpose there she would have
been offered a knife, a dish rag or a goat to clean just like any others
wandering in or a suggestion for a more appropriate getting away spot
suggested. I have had children volunteer to help and I set them to picking
apart parsley or setting up plates for individual courses, washing greens and
other veggies. The important part is to make it clear that if you are in the
kitchen you are there to work and not to hang out unless it is billed as a
spectator class which situation I cannot envisage happening in my kitchen.
Hands on yes, spectator no.

Ras