SC - za'atar

DianaFiona at aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Mon Apr 10 11:08:44 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/9/00 3:29:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time, LrdRas at aol.com
writes:

<<
 Source of za'atar that actually contains the herb of this name in the blend?
 I have been unable to locate it either on or off line. Scientific name of
the
 herb, please so I can add it to my garden. Specific examples of it's use in
 this blend and on it's own in cookery. Thanks in advance.

 Yours in Service to the Dream,

 Ras >>
    Working on a shaky memory from an article in one of the herb magazines a
few years ago, the identity of this herb may change a bit depending on what
part of the Middle East you are in at the time you ask about it. Seems like
the author got a wide variety of answers and opinions in trying to track this
down. So, what's used in one place may be a variety of thyme, and in another
a variety of Marjoram......... And I don't think there were any sources for
seeds available at the time the article was written,
unfortunately............ :-( That could have changed, of course, or you
might get lucky and find a noncommercial source among immigrant
families........... But if you do, please share! ;-)

            Ldy Diana