SC - Open VS Closed Kitchens (Rant)

RichSCA at aol.com RichSCA at aol.com
Mon Apr 10 18:05:40 PDT 2000

I followed your rant with great interest and I understand how you feel.  I am
sure that there will be people that will tell you that they have their
kitchen crew signed up years in advance or that they always cook with
"certain members" within the hosting group or that their household is
"always" their only staff, etc.  I can understand these words, there is
something to be said for a well-oiled group that meshes well together, but I
understand "more" how you feel.

I "do" have a slight problem with the thinking "well, if you want to help out
in the kitchen make it known ahead of time".   My "old" home group put on one
event a year.  If I waited to cook with just them, I would be helping out
once a year.  And what about just "looking over the Kingdom newsletter,
picking out an event, calling the cook and seeing if she/he needs any
help....?"  Well, I "used" to be able to repay and plan ahead, but isn't that
way anymore and I seldom know more than a day or so ahead of time if I am
attending an event.

So here I am - a cook without a kitchen.  If I'm at your event I'll drop by
your kitchen and see if you need any help.  If you do, great.... but if you
don't, that's okay too.  Because I've had my time in the sun (er...kitchen).
  And I also get to cook for non-SCA historic-type groups now and then.  But
I think the person below (and others) that have spoken on this List have
tried to express their feelings that they want to learn and help, but if you
say no too many times (for whatever reason) they will soon stop asking.  And
what a loss.

Rayne

In a message dated 4/10/00 7:11:21 PM Central Daylight Time,