SC - mustard or not.....not!

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Mon Apr 10 18:17:50 PDT 2000

Cousin Phillipa asks:

>I know I asked not to discuss religion on list but I really need an
>intelligent anser for this one.  Could someone please explain to me how a
>mustard seed is a legume.

Because it's a seed, stripped from its pod?

Dear cuz, people often depict and describe things in terms which are
familiar to them, regardless of the logic applying otherwise- I have no
doubt that you've observed our discussions on the fact that Medieval folk
often felt that rabbit embryos and cetaeceans were fish rather than meat-
I'm sure that, if we took the time, we could find a thousand other instances
in many cultures, not just in your dread-locked Kosher folk.

My suggestion is for you to take the entire situation with a grain of
(Kosher) salt, and not worry about it too much, unless your habits include
relying on other folk's interpretation of the Torah, and the Laws, despite
your own traditions.....

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

"Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

"It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
Boswell

"And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous