SC - dietary restrictions

Aldyth at aol.com Aldyth at aol.com
Tue Apr 11 08:47:05 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/11/00 2:37:44 PM !!!First Boot!!!, macdairi at hotmail.com
writes:

<< Yeah, but then again, what gives you the right to impose it on us?
 I mean if you're asking for special dishes at an event, I've made
 a point to let people I know when something they don't eat is going
 by them, but if you have a special dietary concern, religious or medical (I
 myself can't eat shellfish) then you should let the troll
 know in advance so they can tell the feast-o-crat in advance so they
 can either flag the dishes ahead of time or maybe make a smaller portion
 (which I have done in the past) without the offending ingredient. >>

Just my two cents here, but please don't tell the troll, tell the cook.
Before the event.  Way before the event.  And, I don't really care whether it
is an allergy or preference.  We've talked about this before, but it is still
important.  If the cooks don't know they can't plan.  Planning takes more
than the night before.

Just a week ago at a fighter practice, one of the ladies volunteered to feed
everyone rather than have us infest a local pub.  Great food, great fun
ensued.  After the meal, one of the gentleman fencers came into the kitchen
and asked what the chopped meat was that was in the potatoe soup.  The cook
replied that it was ham.  The gentleman then complimented the soup and went
back to the conversation in the other room.  He spoke with me later and said
he was a Hasidic Jew, and that although he wasn't suppoed to eat pork, he had
found that indeed God was a forgiving person.  :-))  Not everyone with that
kind of restriction would have been so gracious.

Aldyth