Fasts (was Re: Re: SC - dietary restrictions)

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 11 09:28:39 PDT 2000

<<<SNIP...I don't consider Lent to be really a fast, in comparison to other religions whom require you to spend days/weeks without food.>>>

Fast comes in lots of different varieties, depending on religious dogma, personal constitution and season.  LEnt in my personal Roman Catholic upbringing was not necessarily a mainstream fasting.  We restricted food intake and avoided foods, but was not a starvation thing.  The (Christian) Orthodoxy has a far more stringent view of the Lenten season and fasting.  You might find it interesting to read about their season of paschal preparation. . . it is pretty intense compared to most christian fasting practices, ans rivals others of non-christian traditions.  No starvation fasting, but certainly demanding in today's world.

niccolo difrancesco