SC - Apples for Cider

Angus angus at iamawitch.com
Thu Apr 13 08:39:05 PDT 2000

<snip>
>Cleaning the blender was no problem as far as I remember. Just simple
>soap and water. But then unlike a juicer the surfaces in a blender are
>pretty smooth and once disassembled it is easy to clean.

Easy to clean maybe, but did it get clean enough ?
Did you use soap & water for the rest of the eq as well?

<snip>
>No, somewhere I've got a hydrometer, but I've never used it, including
>when making meads.
OUCH...it's a good practice to use one.  It avoids having home-made grenades in your refridgerator door all of a sudden (read: after a few weeks)

<snip>
I just did not expect the bottle top to get torn off
>the Grosch bottles and have the hugh fountain of spray. I'm *real*
>glad I didn't open the first one in the kitchen.
I can see why...

>> As for 'proper' cider making equipment I found a couple of drawings of/plans for various presses in a swedish book I bought at a sale.  I did a quick calculation and found that the whole thing would cost me about $20 plus cloth for the pulb bag.  I plan to try and make a press in a few weeks.  If anyone wants the plans, let me know and I'll scan them and mail them privately.
>
>I would like a copy. I've not seen one anywhere near that cheap even
>if it does use modern plastics and such instead of wood. It does
>seem a waste to buy those prime apples they sell in the store to
>squeeze for juice. I'm not in an apple growing region, so there is
>no source for the second-class apples normally used for cider.
>I'll send you my address by email.

No need for that....I'll send it out by e-mail off the list.  I live in Sweden and postage here is murder so I'll NOT sent them by snail mail.
If you can't recieve files over a certain size let me know, but I'll probably split it into several parts to keep the size down.

Angus

==
There is only one good -- knowledge;
and only one evil -- ignorance.