SC - Apples for Cider

Magdalena magdlena at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 13 08:14:22 PDT 2000

"Alderton, Philippa" wrote:

> I've been meaning to ask- what kind of yeast should you innoculate your
> cider with, if you want to get good stuff?

    That really depends on who you talk to.  To make a traditional cider, use
either the natural yeast if possible or an ale yeast.  I like a Nottingham or
Windsor, some of my friends swear by Edme.  The results will be anywhere from 4
to 12%, depending on how much sugar you add.  (For a sweet, lightly alcoholic
apple cider, add about 1/2 a tablespoon of dry yeast and drink within 2-3
days.)  You can get some interesting flavor variations using the different
styles of ale yeasts.  To make apple wine, I use a white wine yeast such as
Lalvin 71B or K1V, which usually tops out at 16-18%.  Some people swear by
champagne yeast, but I can't abide the aftertaste that champagne yeast leaves.
(The peach wine I made with it topped out at 23%.)  YMMV  Wyeast has a cider
yeast out that I just started, so I don't know how it will work.  Unfortunately,
I don't know what the base yeast strain is.
    The decision with yeast boils down to what you like to drink.  I'm a
lightweight with a taste for sweet, so I prefer to make a cider of which I can
drink more than one glass.

- -Magdalena