SC - Is drinking water "period"

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Apr 15 23:56:40 PDT 2000

Rayne asked:
> The following was posted to the Meridian List.  I contacted the person who
> wrote it (we then had a nice discussion about the knowledge of germs, etc.,
> in "period") and asked if they minded if I cross-posted it.  (see 2nd
> paragraph). Since we often discuss recipes for "documented" drinks at feasts
> - - I pose the question: Is my goblet full of water "period"??
>
> Rayne
>
> Original Post: Actually, people in period did NOT drink water.  They didn't
> have our
> facilities for cleaning and sanitizing the water, so drinking water would be
> a pretty good way to catch a pretty nasty disease.  Fermenting or brewing it
> basically takes care of these problems, or so I understand, so that is why
> ale and wine were staple drinks.

There has been a little discussion here about this. There are some
documented exceptions to this rule. However, in general, this appears
to be true.

I just finished editing this file. I will try to get it into the
BEVERAGES section in the next few days:
bev-water-msg      (6K)  3/29/00    Water as a beverage in period.

Ice does appear to be used in a few isolated instances in the Middle
Ages for rulers, the Middle East specifically I believe. But I seem to
remember the ice was added to wine and not water.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net