SC - Fw: [Trimaris] Meat in a can (no, it's not aboutlistmeat)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Apr 16 00:50:34 PDT 2000

Olaf said:
> 	From a personal point of view I believe that we have evolved as Omnivors,
> so I joyfuly eat both of flesh & plant.  I would be glad to accomidate any
> one at a feast or to do a strictly no meat or meat by products if it was
> requested.  I would have to do a LOT of research though since most of my
> experience with vegitable dishes are in New World foods or contain meat by
> products.

For non-meat vegetarian dishes, take a look at this file in the FOOD
section of my Florilegium:
vegetarian-msg    (47K)  1/ 4/00    Medieval vegetarianism. Lenten foods.

You might also look in the FOOD-VEGETABLES section for the various
vegetable recipes.

> Also how vegan is vegan?

Yes, that is a problem. And I really doubt that there is any evidence
for anyone doing that type of diet for any long length of time, other
than some on bread and water or something similar as an act of extreme
penitence or a really dedicated monk.

>  There fore this challenge:  tell me a
> complete period feast of 3 removes with at least 2 courses per remove that
> would not have any dishes objectional to any vegan person.

In other words, a feast of 3 courses with at least 2 dishes per course?
Part of the problem is that feasts were celebrations as opposed to fasts.
Other than the examples where non-meat dishes were made for particular
participants, usually clerical folks, I doubt anyone will find anything.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net