SC - Is drinking water "period"

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Sun Apr 16 14:25:14 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/15/00 9:51:54 PM Pacific Daylight Time, LrdRas at aol.com
writes:

> After reading the extant menus that we have access to in the modern world,
II

>  offer the opinion that water is not listed as a feast beverage and
therefore

>  is inappropriate given the material we have with which to make an opinion.
>
>  Ras

Water was widely considered to be unhealthy, so may not have been consumed
straight, but was very, very often (almost always) mixed with wine for
eclesiastic as well as practical reasons.  Even medieval cooks knew that
alcohol deprived the body of water, and so diluted it to help replenish the
body's supply and rehydrate it.

There are, I believe, reference to rather monastic and hermetic types who
did, however, consume plain water and raw vegetables in a "natural" diet.

Such a strange fascination, as I wallow in waste
That such a trivial victory could put a smile on your face.
                                        - Mark Burgess