SC - Re: Egg Sizes

Elysant at aol.com Elysant at aol.com
Tue Apr 18 20:00:46 PDT 2000

- -Poster: <Elysant at aol.com>

Ras wrote:

>Large eggs are usually what is specified in a recipe unless another size is
>stated. For example, if a recipe calls for 5 eggs (2 oz.) and you have
medium
>eggs you should use 6 medium (1.75 oz.) eggs.

In the cake recipes (e.g. Victoria Sandwich) I learned to make at school in
Britain in the '70's, 1 egg was always used with 2 oz margarine or butter,
2oz sugar, and (usually for more lift) 2 1/2 oz SR flour.  This was
considered a "one egg" quantity of cake batter and an egg was always
considered to be equivalent to 2 oz.

Also, as an interesting point for all you non-Brits.  In Britain, there
always was a tiny heraldic lion with a crown on his head stamped on each
"approved" egg to denote quality.  This stopped around the late '60's or so
:-(

Anyway, in constrast, here are the new egg classifications for marketing in
Britain:-

The following weight ranges apply to each size category.

                              Very Large Over 73 grams

                              Large Between 63 and 73 grams

                              Medium Between 53 and 63 grams

                              Small Less than 53 grams

"All eggs are individually weighed during the grading and quality control
process and the weight category is clearly shown on each egg pack".

Elysant
Who feels old now...