SC - Lamb recipe and vegetable stew recipe request

Etain1263 at aol.com Etain1263 at aol.com
Wed Apr 19 14:44:55 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/19/00 10:56:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
phlip at morganco.net writes:

<<
 The trouble with moderately exotic dried beans is that their shelf life is
 indefinite, and if you combine very slow rotation of stock, with an impulse
 buy, where you get them and keep them around for an extended period of time,
 looking for a recipe, you'll get that extra drying problem.

Even "normal" dried beans are several years old!  I learned this when I lived
in Michigan..where they grow a great many of the "navy" and "great northern"
beans for market!  someone gave me a large bag of "fresh" dried beans...from
that year - and they cooked up almost immediately!  Wow!  What a difference!
The farmers sell to the grain elevators...who store until they have enough to
transport to the packagers....who package and store until the prices are
"right"...sometimes it's a year or more.

Etain