SC - Venison recipe request

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Wed Apr 19 15:21:06 PDT 2000

Actually there's a recipe in To the King's Taste...yeah I know, a lot of you
don't like the book, but this is a good recipe...for Roo Broth:

Take the lire of the deer other of the roo; parboile it on smale peces. Seeth it
wel, half in water, and half in wyne.  Take brede and bray it with the self
broth, and drawe blode thereto and lat it seeth togedre with powdor-fort of
gynger, other of cannel and macys, with a grete porcionn of vynegar, with
raysons of courannte.

Their redaction is:

3 Tbsp. bacon fat
1 medium onion, minced
2 # venison, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
1/4 cup flour\
1 1/2 cups boiling water or beef stock
1 1/2 cups red wine
2 tsp. finely minced fresh ginger or 1 tsp. powdered ginger
1 tbsp. (or more) vinegar
1/2 cup currants
salt
1/2 cup bread crumbs (optional)
fresh deer blood if available

1.  Melt bacon fat in a large saucepan
2.  Saute onion in fat until transparent
3.  Dredge venison cubes in flour
4.  Brown cubes in skillet, combining them with onions
5. Combine water or stock, wine, ginger, vinegar, currants and salt to taste.
Stir to blend.
6.  Pour liquid over meat.
7.  Cover and simmer about 2 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
8.  Add bread crumbs to thicken, if desired.
9.  If blood is available, remove pot from flame a few minutes before adding it,
as it should not boil.  The blood will thicken and flavor the sauce as well as
darken the color.

You could either use their redaction or do your own...your choice!

Kiri