SC - Tough Beans?

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Wed Apr 19 14:08:27 PDT 2000

> One other hint - do not add salt to the cooking water - it means
> tough beans!
> Gwynydd

	This was something my late husband used to say, and I never understood
it.  If your beans are 'tough', then they aren't cooked enough.  If you
don't salt the water as the beans are soaking it up, you will never get
the salt into the beans, just in the fluid surrounding it.  So, how do
you end up with tough beans?  Sounds more like "tough noogies" to me.
	Christianna