SC - Dangers of pressure cookers

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Wed Apr 19 23:56:55 PDT 2000

Especially since the instruction manual for the new Mirro cooker we just
bought specifically says running cool water over it is a way to quicken
the cool-down time.  I guess we won't be trying that method anytime soon!
Christianna

On Thu, 20 Apr 2000 02:30:01 EDT CBlackwill at aol.com writes:
> In a message dated 4/19/00 8:35:41 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au writes:
>
> >      Just remember that a pressure cooker is also a steam bomb. I
> worked at  a BBQ place that did beans in a 20 gallon pressure cooker,
and
> one day, a mexican worker decided that the relief valve wasn't fast
> enough, so he set it in a sink of cold water. The resulting explosion
killed him (thank god, and I'm not kidding), and took out the back third
of the prep
> area.  Pressure cookers are great, just remember the key word is
'pressure!'.
> >  >
> >  >     Sieggy
>
> This is a horrifying thought.  The image this conjures makes my skin
> crawl.  How many times in my career have I considered doing just this
very
> thing?  This is a post which will haunt me for years (and has already
caused
> me to warn all of my family to NEVER screw around with a pressure
cooker).  I  already knew not to pop the lid, but had never considered
that
> popping it into hot water would make it explode.
>
> And yes, thank whomever you wish that this gentleman did NOT
> survive.  Some obviously consider it offensive to think so...I call it
Mercy.