SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2153

Devra at aol.com Devra at aol.com
Thu Apr 20 18:04:56 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/18/00 11:42:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:

>  Smallest eggs
>  to the Lord? On what basis do you make this assumption?

Dear Lord Ras,

I think that the previous poster was basing the idea on human nature, and
man's desire to get the best bargain possible.  In college, when we read some
of the feudal contacts, they said things like "John the Joiner will give 10
dozen eggs at Easter, the loan of a cart, three bundles of hay.."  Now, it
seems very sensible to me that, if your contract specifies the number of eggs
to be given, but not whether they must be a particular weight or size, that
you would tend to give the least you could get away with--i.e. the smallest
eggs.  In the matter of Heriot? (where the lord takes a beast when the
original tenant dies, and the new one inherits) I believe that it is
specified that it should be "the best beast"... 8-} grin
Devra the baker
Devra Langsam
www.poisonpenpress.com
devra at aol.com