food and appearance...was Re: SC - quick important note

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 21 20:52:34 PDT 2000

> > >  > My solution to a "horrible looking stew" was to
> > make dumplings

> > Actually, dumplings are quite period.  The recipe
> > for "White Ravioli" in
> > Redon's "The Medieval Kitchen" is exactly that...a
> > dumpling.

>While I agree with you that dumplings are period, I
>don't agree with you that raviolies are a form of
>dumplings.  They are two entirely different processes.

My brain has two notions of dumplings learned from years of plain old
cooking as opposed to historical:

1. the lump of dough type which may range from a thick noodle-y thing to a
big hunk of dough boiled in the broth.

2. dough/paste wrapped around something, and the packet then cooked in steam
or broth.

Ravioli fits #2, and the yummy dim sum I'm hoping to have for breakfast
tomorrow should include a different variation. Pierogis would be another
variation.

So, where did I go wrong in beleiving that #2 was a useful generic term for
the myriad ethnic variations of stuff wrapped in dough and cooked?  What
generic term would you use?

bonne