food and appearance...was Re: SC - quick important note

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 21 22:13:03 PDT 2000

- --- Bonne of Traquair <oftraquair at hotmail.com> wrote:

> was to
> > > make dumplings
>

> > > Actually, dumplings are quite period.  The
> recipe
> > > for "White Ravioli" in
> > > Redon's "The Medieval Kitchen" is exactly
> that...a
> > > dumpling.
>
> >While I agree with you that dumplings are period, I
> >don't agree with you that raviolies are a form of
> >dumplings.  They are two entirely different
> processes.
>
> My brain has two notions of dumplings learned from
> years of plain old
> cooking as opposed to historical:
>
> 1. the lump of dough type which may range from a
> thick noodle-y thing to a
> big hunk of dough boiled in the broth.
>
> 2. dough/paste wrapped around something, and the
> packet then cooked in steam
> or broth.

I personally consider #1 to be one definition of
dumpling, but I have not considered #2 to fit my
definition of dumpling.  All the dumplings I have ever
made have been either boiled in water or broth or
plopped on top of a stew and baked in an oven.  None
have ever been filled, although some have been
flavored.

> Ravioli fits #2, and the yummy dim sum I'm hoping to
> have for breakfast
> tomorrow should include a different variation.
> Pierogis would be another
> variation.

I personally don't feel that either ravioli or
pierogis fit the category of dumpling. But this is my
personal opinion and not based on any extensive
research.

I never considered the category of dim sum, which I
have eaten but have never made.  I suppose that it
could be considered as a crossover item that fits both
categories; a sort of culinary missing link.  But then
sometimes inappropriate terms are assigned to foreign
concepts because the translators have no better word
to use.

> So, where did I go wrong in beleiving that #2 was a
> useful generic term for
> the myriad ethnic variations of stuff wrapped in
> dough and cooked?  What
> generic term would you use?

Personally I don't think that #2 fits the category of
dumplings, but I could be wrong.  I am sure that I
will be excoriated for this opinion if I am wrong.

Huette