SC - Re: Ice Dragon Duck

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Sat Apr 22 17:43:22 PDT 2000

Katya,

Got my computer almost all working again!  Here's the peri-oide recipe
for duck from last Ice Dragon.  There were a couple of pages of
documentation of various ways that duck was prepared in period sources.

Ice Dragon Duck

1 duck, 3-4 lbs.				2 C. chicken broth
1 C. chopped onion			3 T. white wine
3 T. raisins				2 T. currants
1 T. rose hips
Pinches of grains of paradise, cinnamon, blades of mace, salt
Pinches of rosemary, fresh thyme, sorrell
Stuffing: 1 C. green grapes, ¾ C. unblanched almonds

I simmered the duck in the broth and flavoring until very tender, turning
once.  I removed the duck from the broth, allowed it to cool, removed the
skin, wing tips, and bones, setting the meat aside.  The meat was sliced,
where thick enough.  The broth was strained.  After removing the woody
bits of the herbs and spices, the grapes, raisins, currants and almonds
were run through the blender with some of the broth, in order to make a
sauce.  The duck meat and sauce traveled separately, and were combined
and heated for the contest.

I wanted a slightly sweet, rich, spicy taste to the sauce and the meat,
as I thought that the stronger taste of duck—compared to chicken, capon,
et al, would benefit from the rich flavorings.  Rose hips were used in
place of rose water.  Rose water tends to be a little too sweet for the
taste I wanted for this particular dish.

Without a precise recipe to follow, this is peri-oid rather than
demonstrably period, but I feel it would not have been out of place in a
fifteenth century menu.  Attached copies of period writings demonstrate a
variety of ways in which duck, or poultry, was served in period.  These
are not all the recipes in period, or even all the recipes from any given
source.  I simply wanted to show a variety.
3/18/99

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com