SC - A new project....

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Sat Apr 22 19:12:15 PDT 2000

Christianna wrote:

> Would lingonberry tarts be closer?   You can buy lingonberries here
>preserved in jars, I would think they would make good tart stuffings.

Not really traditional for Iceland, no - lingonberries do not grow here. But
I was actually thinking of bilberries and bog bilberries, not blueberries -
they all go by the same name here, more or less. But (wild) strawberries
would be OK too, or crowberries or stone bramble, which I doubt you will be
able to find - these are the only edible berries that grow here.

>Would Icelanders have
>observed Lenten restrictions, having such a meat-based diet?

Well, we´ve always eaten a lot of fish, and dairy products, but meat was
supposedly not eaten during Lent - with the exception of whalemeat, which
counted as fish (not sure about seal meat, though). And, well, things like
"hoofed salmon" are sometimes mentioned, so I guess not everybody followed
the Lenten restrictions equally rigidly.

Nanna