SC - Servings (was Duck Doneness)

Tara Sersen tsersen at nni.com
Sun Apr 23 20:39:01 PDT 2000

>> (who avoids those cuisines because he wants more than a tiny raw partridge
>> breast with a tsp. of sauce and 3 peas on his plate)
> Funny, I got paid to loaf around in restaurant kitchens for several
> years, but have been lucky enough never to have encountered this
> phenomenon in real life. In movies and TV commercials, frequently, but
> in reality, no. The only place I recall where the reality was close to
> this was Bouley, who would serve you five or six plates such as you
> describe, in succession. I can see, though, why you might want to avoid
> such situations, if that was your experience.

I concur with Master Adamantius.  I've eaten in a wide variety of
restaurants over a fairly wide geographical range, and have never been
underwhelmed with portion size.  On the contrary, I generally find a
restaurant meal to be at least two servings worth of food, and
occasionally three or more.  Rarely do I go home without a "doggie bag"
that makes at least one lunch.  When I do it's usually because I'm
ravenous, and I later regret eating the whole serving.

The advantage, of course, is that I get to take something wonderful to
work for lunch the next day.  I get to torment my cubicle neighbors with
the aroma of salmon teriyaki or thai chicken in red sauce.

mmm, now I regret that I don't have anything exciting to take for lunch
tomorrow.  Damn restuarants, closing down on Easter...

Lady Magdalena vander Brugghe