SC - Cooking Laurels

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Mon Apr 24 22:29:48 PDT 2000

Hey all from Anne-Marie
Nykademus sez:

>I like the way you phrased your response.  I want to add however I have been
>told what I will not receive and why so many times I find it hard to smile
>and keep on chopping.  (Have you ever noticed those who think they know the
>most about peers aren't peers, and are convinced belts are metered out in
>dark rooms by nefarious sex crazed bitter old farts?)  Peers are not saints
>but most of them have been kind, answered my questions and pretended to know
>me.  I cook because its to hot to fight, the kitchen is near the cold beer
>and most importantly I love cooking.  Not eating oddly enough, but cooking,
>vinting, brewing or whatever.
>
>I may post the following in latin, galic or norse.
>"yes we know we will never be laurals.
>Thank you for your concern please drive on and be negative somewhere else.
>We are having more fun than you could imagine or would be willing to be a
>part of."

I dont know about anyone else, but I cook because I have this almost
pathological need to provide for people. I get strokes from preparing yummy
food and making people happy. Doing period food is even better cuz then you
get even MORE strokes, from different people. it is human nature to desire
external gratification....where you get into trouble is when your whole
sense of self worth is wrapped up in that.

I too was asked a lot "why arent you a laurel yet??!!!" (you're right,
usually by non-peers). I tried to explain in small words, speaking slowly
that what *I* wanted was to have the reputation that if anyone had any
question about medieval food, or preparing a feast, or cooking over an open
fire, they knew they could come to me. I would either know the answer, or
would know someone else who did. You will notice that this goal has NOTHING
to do with the SCA, or with the recognition of anyone else but myself. I
cant speak for anyone else, but putting my yardstick of success or failure
in someone elses hands seems like a pretty goofy thing to do! Im just too
much of a control freak for THAT, thank you very much!

Do what you love. Be the best you can be. If the coucnil and crown decide
that they need you in those 8am meetings, they'll let you know. Worst case
scenario, you're still doing what you love to do. And if the yardstick of
your success is of your own making, who needs the rest?

now, lets talk about medieval food! :)
- --AM