SC - May wine

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Thu Apr 27 00:11:52 PDT 2000

>>Really?  I can get Maiwein here in California.  Maybe
you are looking for it under the wrong name?<<

Could be.  Ras, does the PA LCB carry the May Wine as a German import?
I'm looking forward to trying the directions for making it from my herb
book, but would love to get the stuff I used to drink in Germany.

Keville, Kathi. Herbs, An Illustrated Encyclopedia. A Complete Culinary,
Cosmetic, Medicinal, and Ornamental Guide. Barnes & Noble, NY, 1997. ISBN
0 7607 0486 4. primarily watercolors for illustrations

Mai-Trank
1 qt. white wine
1 C. woodruff
2 oz. sugar
1/4 pt water
1 orange, peeled and sliced

This will make a sort of punch, I guess.  You leave the sweet woodruff
soaking in the wine for 7 days.  Another recipe has it soaking for 2
weeks before straining.
I don't recall the wine I drank having either an orange or a lemon
flavor.  Maybe that's just the way she likes it.

My little plant is a long way from providing a cup of either leaf or
blossom.
Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com