SC - Re: Substitutions

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Thu Apr 27 23:20:37 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/27/00 6:28:03 PM Pacific Daylight Time, allilyn at juno.com
writes:

>  BTW, someone mentioned substituting pork for beef.  Don't think that
>  would have happened: beef was hot and dry, pork was cold and moist.  By
>  the time you changed the cooking methods and the liquids, seasonings and
>  sauces, you had a different recipe.

Im curious to know, and see documentation regarding, how prevailant "humoral
theory" was in medieval cuisine.  Was it actually the guiding force that
people seem to think it was?  Or was it merely a case of "oh, yeah...keep in
mind humoral theory if you want to..."?  This is a serious question.  I would
like to know, and do not have the resources (yet) to make an assessment.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Words are Trains for moving past what really has no Name.