SC - Re: Substitutions

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Fri Apr 28 12:33:00 PDT 2000

>> Was it actually the guiding force that
people seem to think it was?  Or was it merely a case of "oh, yeah...keep
in
mind humoral theory if you want to..."?<<

I think the first, Ras doesn't.  Get Scully's _The Art of Cookery in the
Middle Ages_ from the library and read it.  Read my article in the
Florilegium.  Look at the references to it in Chiquart and Platina.  Read
almost anything on medieval medicine.

If you find lists of the staff members belonging to noble houses, check
for the presence of a physician.  It was the physicians that consulted
with the cook as to the proper food for specific purposes.  Have you
downloaded Chiquart from Cariadoc's web site?  Lots in there.  Galen was
the physician whose writings were highly consulted on humoral theory.
Haven't found a copy of him in English but probably haven't tried hard
enough.

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com