SC - transporting ingredients

David Dendy ddendy at silk.net
Sat Apr 29 02:22:50 PDT 2000

- -----Original Message-----
>Okay, so we have the spice box set up and the sacks for larger quantities
of
>things like wheat and rice.  How did people in period store and/or
transport
>powders like amydoun, powdour douce, and so on?  Do we have any pictures or
>documentation, or do we fall back on rustic jars with corks in because they
>look more period than glass screwtop jars?
>
>Cairistiona

The most usual solution would have been in pottery jars. These are usually
known as apothecary jars -- most commonly they are in a majolica-type of
ware, with blue or green decoration. The usual shape is fairly tall,
narrower at top and bottom than in the middle, which has a concave curvature
(sorry if the description isn't the clearest). And these jars would be
closed not with corks (the use of cork for stoppers is very late, if I
recall correctly), but with a piece of parchment tied down with a cord over
the projecting lip of the top of the jar. I have also met mention in account
books of pounded spices and mixtures being delivered from the spice merchant
in bags (I can't recall off the top of my head whether cloth or leather), so
I suspect that this would also answer your needs. Would you like me to dig
up the exact references?

Francesco Sirene
David Dendy / ddendy at silk.net
partner in Francesco Sirene, Spicer / sirene at silk.net