SC - Blamang

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sat Apr 29 06:04:28 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/29/2000 5:05:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
cjvt at hotmail.com writes:

<< The recipe is Harl MS 279 no 82, for Blamang, and the last line reads
 '[th]ou myght depart hem with a cawdelle ferry y-wreten before...'
 What is a cawdelle ferry y-wreten? >>

A caudle is a warm drink, spiced and sugared.  The "Cawdelle Ferry" recipe in
Vol. 1 of "Take a Thousand Eggs..." is made of wine, egg yolks, sugar,
saffron, salt, mace, cloves, galingale, and cinnamon, and served with "white
powder" strewn on top.  Effectively, a thickened spiced wine, I guess, but
probably more custardy in consistency.
I'm not sure about "y-wreten"...OH.  Is there a recipe for cawdelle ferry
written in the manuscript before the blamang recipe??  It might mean that
when your guests are finished with the blamang and it is taken away
(departed), you might then serve them the cawdelle ferry "written before"!

The Cawdelle Ferry recipe in "Take a Thousand Eggs" is also from Harl MS 279,
and is number 47!  So it would be "written before"!  Sort of "serve this with
the dish from page 32".

Cool!  A serving suggestion from the 15th century!

Brangwayna Morgan