SC - Re:period food/demo's

Donna Kepner Ford evfemia at mail.com
Sat Apr 29 10:18:16 PDT 2000

Darice Moore wrote:

> > Some of the items I used (again, all had to be servable cold, but I made a
> > point of the fact that most probably *wouldn't* have been served cold in
> > period) were Pies of Parys (which I have made in tart sizes and taken to
> > Pennsic; they've stayed good three days or more in a cooler); Koken von
> > Honer, which is a chicken pie; cold sliced roast beef with winter cameline
> > sauce and piper sauce; gingerbread; Chireseye.  The recipes I used are
> > available on request :-)
>
> Yum!  I'd love to see your recipes on these - especially the Chireseye!
>

> Thanks for the suggestions.  :)  I just think that if we're introducing
> people to the fighting, the costuming, the crafts, then why not
> introduce them to the food as well?  It won't be a "feast" experience,
> but the flavors are so delicious and different that it will at least
> give them a taste of what our feastcrats can do on a larger scale.  :)

As democrat of the Barony of Iron Mountain, I find this idea wonderful.
Food has not been included in any of our demo's.

How does one go about it?  Do you usually have mundane people signed up
ahead of time so you know how much to bring.  Does one typically charge
by the plate or can the cost be low enough to not have to charge.

It might be fun to approach it as a class for the mundanes, in say a
library environment.

Does anyone have any fairly simple, period recipes that children and
adults would like, such as cookies, tarts or cakes?  I often arrange
demo's at area schools and libraries.  It would be fun to have a little
taste of the middle ages for them.

I would love to have any recipes others would care to pass on.
Especially those suitable for demo's.

Thanks,

evfemia at mail.com
Iron Mtn, Meridies