SC - Platina in Florence(Move the Arno? Not so silly an idea in point of fact.)

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sat Apr 29 19:00:30 PDT 2000

Was written:

>No, they moved the river. It was easier.
>margali
>>>>
>The Po? Last I knew it was the Arno that runs through Florence. Or did
>they change the name?

Odd that this digression should occur.   I just started reading "Fortune is
a River; Leonardo da Vinci and Niccolo Machiavelli's Magnificent Dream to
Change the Course of Florentine History"  by Roger D. Masters.  It deals
with the scheme by those two great worthies to indeed divert the Arno, leave
Pisa high and dry, and make the river navigable from Florence to the sea.
As this was going on about 1504 it post dates Platina's death by about 25
years.   So far it's quite an interesting read.

Daniel Raoul