SC - sp[r]ice

Christina van Tets cjvt at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 30 14:04:23 PDT 2000

Greetings!

M (of 007 fame??) asked:

>Since when was rice become a spice?

According to a fantastic book I have in front of me, entitled 'History
Source Books:  The Elizabethan Age:  The Queen, Nobles and Gentry' (it's a
school text, going almost entirely from primary sources which it presents
for the kids - heh heh, I'm indoctrinating my English students), the steward
of Ingatestone Hall (and therefore possibly others too?) called anything
which came from a hot country a spice.  Among the list of 'spices' here are
currants, rice, almonds, prunes, dates and raisins.  Maybe this is a key?

Cairistiona

and, not asked by M:
>Ever wanted to lose weight while sitting on your butt in front of the TV???

But then I'd no longer be a bacon butty...