SC - Honey Advisory!

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Sun Apr 30 07:34:48 PDT 2000

I repeat part of my preceeding post in case you
didn't care to read about quinces:

Cooks and Meadmakers: The price of honey is rising fast.
If you have some extra cash and use a lot of honey, I suggest
you stock up now.  It is about to become a lot more expensive
IMO from my observations and talking to other beekeepers.
Last year was an absolute disaster for most of the Eastern
US beekeepers as the drought cut the bloom of most usual
honey flowers drastically.  The many bee parasites and
diseases plus the lack of close by open water sources
also put a huge amount of stress on the hives as well.  Loss
of hives this winter in my area by professional apiaists was
over 50% and most amateurs 100%. The price of honey may
well double by the end of the year (or more) unless this is a
really great(and normal ) summer.  Of course, it may not occur
(like Y2K), but it keeps well and I would rather not be caught
up short.

Akim Yaroslavich
"No glory comes without pain"