SC - Re: Saffron cost

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sun Apr 30 09:09:41 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 29 Apr 00,, that David Dendy wrote:

> The packaging you mention sounds like the proper packaging, and "product of
> Spain" is encouraging.
[snip]

I went and bought it.  The sale had ended, alas, but $19.95/oz. still
sounded like a decent price, and I *am* running low on saffron.  The
packaging looked quite convincing -- tin labelled with the supplier's
name, wrapped in yellow cellophane, and tied with a golden cord with a
little embossed seal on it.  It says Spain, but does not specify Mancha.
"The Gathering of Saffron" is the brand name, from Novelda, Spain, and
it was allegedly packed in 2000.

> As to appearance, safflower, while similar the general appearance to
> saffron threads, looks quite different on close scrutiny, as it is
> actually whole flower heads, including the petals, rather than the stigmas
> as in saffron.

The contents are dark red threads, no petals.  I am convinced that I
have acquired saffron, though conceivably not the highest quality on the
market.  That's okay -- I don't think I have the palate to appreciate the
Really Good Stuff.

Thank you for your advice.  Which reminds me, I have to pop over to
your website.  There are a few things my spice cupboard lacks which I
*cannot* find locally, even in the more interesting stores.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net