Subject: Re: Subject: SC - tongue

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Apr 30 09:46:50 PDT 2000

> Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 00:50:49 EDT
> From: CBlackwill at aol.com
> Subject: Re: Subject: SC - tongue

> does anyone know if a medieval cook would
> have made a distinction between "larding" and "barding'?
<snip>
>  Barding is the process of wrapping the
> meat in bacon or other fat (such as chicken skin or goose skin with the fat
> layer intact).
>
> Balthazar of Blackmoor

I haven't seen any period references to barding, that I can recall,
although there's evidence the concept of protecting the food from the
fire in various ways was used. Markham's 17th-century instructions on
ordering an assortment of meats in a particular way on the pit seems to
suggest this was a concern.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy